Two days before the 1995 Rugby World Cup final in South Africa, New Zealand’s champion team, the All Blacks, were struck down with severe food poisoning.
They went on to lose their match. For two decades since, the incident has been blamed on a waitress called “Suzie” though her identity and the cause of the illness have never been uncovered.
The South African win against the All Blacks by 15 points to 12 at Johannesburg’s Ellis Park was one of the biggest sporting upsets of all time.
New Zealand was wary and careful and was trying to avoid eating anything that could be of harm before the match. However, many people claim (including member’s of the team) that the poisoning came in the water and coffee.